Thursday, January 04, 2007

Top 50 2006

Here is a list of my personal “Top 50” for the year 2006. No real guidelines this time – I’ve just listed 50 random things, in no particular order, that made life more enjoyable for me in 2006. I’ve added comments on some of these, but not all of them. Below you’ll find CD’s, concerts, random life events, sandwiches…whatever. In their own way, each of these things rocked my world. It’s all good:

1. Feeling our future son kick around (now that’s what I call a “mosh pit!”)
2. Zolar X – live at the 3 Kings Tavern in Denver and at El Corazon in Seattle (I love these space aliens – they put on an amazing live show)
3. New York Dolls – live at El Corazon (truly inspiring)
4. Be Your Own Pet – s/t CD (ripping bratty punk – great stuff)
5. Sonic Youth – Rather Ripped CD (my favorite thing they’ve done since Goo)
6. Emails from my childhood best friend OBRAD (back in touch after 26 years!)
7. Yo La Tengo – I’m Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass CD
8. Head – No Hugging No Learning LP (I’m actually still waiting on my vinyl, but a friend emailed me this as a “you send it” file – awesome stuff, I miss getting to see these guys play)
9. This Filthy World – John Waters Live DVD (his one man show – hilarious stuff)
10. Len Price 3 – Chinese Burn CD (this actually came out in 2005, but I didn’t track down a copy until this year – think a power pop version of Thee Headcoats)
11. Mission of Burma – The Obliterati CD
12. Mudhoney – two nights live at the Larimer Lounge
13. Art Brut – live at the Hi-Dive
14. The Office – TV show (this keeps getting better and funnier)
15. Sonic Youth – live at the Gothic Theater (best show I’ve seen them do in years)
16. Little Miss Sunshine DVD (“she’s a superfreak, superfreak…”)
17. Art Brut – Bang Bang Rock & Roll CD (“my little brother just discovered rock n’ roll…”)
18. Pizza and beer at the Big Time in Seattle (I’ve never found anything to match it in D-town)
19. Buzzcocks – Flat-Pack Philosophy CD
20. ADULT. – live at the Larimer Lounge (cool duo – what Suicide would sound like fronted by Siouxsie)
21. Cheeseburgers at Herb’s Tavern in Friday Harbor
22. Mystery Science Theater 3000 Volume 10 DVD Box set (more episodes of the best TV show ever – huzzah!)
23. The Daily Show – TV show (I never miss it)
24. Finding good beer on sale at Applejack Liquors (amazing how this can make your day!)
25. The Record Show I attended in October (not because I found anything that was all that great, it was just fun to spend several hours pawing through old vinyl)
26. Parties at Terri’s pad (aka “doin’ the Lido Shuffle”)
27. The Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder: Punk & New Wave DVD (See: The Plasmatics blow up a car! Iggy missing a tooth! Paul Weller acting surly! John Lydon and Keith Levine acting even surlier! Elvis Costello looking really young! Patti Smith sounding like a hippie! The Ramones being the Ramones! Kim Fowley wearing ridiculous makeup! Tom Snyder smoking at least 8000 cigarettes!)
28. The Colbert Report – TV show (you can never have too much truthiness)
29. Neko Case – Fox Confessor Brings the Flood CD (oh, that voice…)
30. The Beatles – Love CD (I wish they’d taken this a bit further, but still an interesting listen for Beatles fans)
31. The Who – Endless Wire CD (better than you’d expect, especially the second half)
32. Belle and Sebastian – The Life Pursuit CD
33. Mr. Falconyeti’s stories about working at Mr. Tomato’s in Boulder (Tomatogate!)
34. The Marked Men – Fix My Brain LP
35. The Black Angels – Passover LP
36. Destroyer – Destroyer’s Rubies CD
37. X – live at the Ogden Theater (Billy Zoom!)
38. Trouble Man DVD (great blaxploitation from 1972, finally available without resorting to crap copies on Ebay)
39. The Raconteurs – live at the Fillmore
40. The Fall – live at the Boulder Theatre (chaotic and fun – long live Mark E. Smith!)
41. The Raconteurs – Broken Boy Soldiers CD (wow, something Brendan Benson was involved with actually moved a few units – it’s about time!)
42. Sparks – Hello Young Lovers CD
43. The Fiery Furnaces – live at the Bluebird
44. Visiting Soulsville in Memphis (worth the admission price just to see Isaac Hayes’ pimped out Cadillac)
45. Sloan – Never Hear the End of It CD (actually, another “you send it” file from Scott, I don’t think this is available outside of Canadia yet)
46. My Name is Earl – TV show
47. The Buzzcocks – live at the Bluebird
48. New York Dolls – One Day It Will Please Us to Remember Even This CD (won’t make anyone forget their two original albums, but this definitely has its moments)
49. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls DVD (The Carrie Nations!)
50. The Who – Sell Out LP (heavy vinyl, original mono mix, reproduction “psychedelic” insert, and amazing sound – thx JT!)

A few random observations:

2006 was the year that the li’l woman bought me a cell phone and an iPod. A few people I know have read these occurrences as “signs of the apocalypse.”

I only saw two movies in the theater in 2006, and they were both at the bargain theater! However, I’ve had a Netflix subscription all year, so I’m seeing more movies than ever before. They just happen to be weird old cult films and documentaries, mostly.

I think I’m the last person in the world who still uses a VCR to copy TV shows when I’m out. Everyone else either has a DVR or a Tivo. It’ll probably be awhile before I “upgrade,” seeing as I hardly watch television anymore.

We’ll see what I can find to write about in 2007 – I vow that this won’t become some sort of overly precious “baby blog.”

7 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Through the wonder of the YouTubes, I give you Mark E. Smith reading football results on the BBC.

There's really no point to it, but he does give an odd little interview at the end.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Deviled Hampton said...

thx paul - he reads like he sings! i like how he's on his best behavior, but teases the announcer about his haircut.

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. I can think of a few gaps in the top 50. Hint: review our collection of fridge magnets from 2006. We had a few unforgettable adventures last year before the pregnancy from hell intervened. ;-)

xoxoxoxo
Your Wife

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Scott said...

sharing feelings is a waste of time!

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I could organise my brain and life enough to make one of these. 2006 was definitely a monumental year for me. I got on page 6 of the NY Daily News! And I even had a nice article in the New York Times. But then I was food stamps and unemployment. But now I teach at an awesome, awesome school and I'm gonna see Hampton, his awesome wife and lil' fella in May!

~Nickers

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention Roger Daltry's "Ride a Rock Horse"
I know you will thank me later for reminding you.......

City Steaks

 
At 4:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!