Monday, September 25, 2006

Beneath the Valley of the Underdog

The weekend before last I got to relive my Seattle days, catching two shows with quintessential "grunge" band Mudhoney. I used to always say that I didn't need to see them every time they played, but I needed to see them at least once a year. Seeing as this was their first Cowtown visit since I moved back nearly four years ago, I was long overdue. I pretty much had to go both nights.

The shows were at the Larimer Lounge, and the first night sold out in advance. Talking to people who chose Friday over Saturday, the main reason seemed to be the warm-up acts. Friday night featured The Geds, a good local band that hasn't played out in a couple of years. The warm-up act Saturday was Machine Gun Blues, who are on way too many bills, and who are god-freakin-awful (but, it must be said, they do have their fans - really, really stupid fans). Friday for me was especially fun - a friend had a pre-function at her place, and then we all met up at the show. It was the rare D-town show where I seemed to know a lot of people in attendance, and I spent a good bit of the evening wandering around chatting. It was nice to see The Geds back in action, they were good that night. On Saturday I didn't leave the house until 11:15. When I arrived I ran into some friends on the back patio who told me that I'd timed it just right - Machine Gun Crap had just finished playing. That was by design - I love it when a plan comes together. The dump was pretty packed that night as well, but I don’t think it quite reached sellout status.

So, how were The Mudhoneys, you ask? Pretty damn great! They didn’t play the same set both nights, although a handful of tunes were repeated (then again, can you have a Mudhoney show without Touch Me I’m Sick, You Got It, Suck You Dry, or In ‘N’ Out of Grace?). I was thrilled to hear Here Comes Sickness on Friday, and my personal fave Who You Drivin’ Now? made an appearance on Saturday. They ended each show in their now classic fashion, covering The Dicks’ Hate the Police. I thought both nights were really good, but I think Saturday’s performance may have had a slight edge. I was just happy to get to see them again, and so were all of the idiots smashing into each other in the mosh pit. Some things never change.

For me, the shows brought back a flood of memories from my post-college life. I moved to Seattle right after graduating from college, and caught my first Mudhoney show less than a year later. They bring to mind that uncertain time in my life of trying to find my way around a strange city, and slowly meeting people to hang around with. There was something comforting about a Mudhoney show - no matter how much the rest of my world changed, Mudhoney pretty much always stayed the same. I saw some great shows, and a couple of really awful ones. I bought pretty much every record they put out – some great, some not so great. I went through a period of not liking them very much, around the time of Piece of Cake, only to be drawn back in by its follow-up My Brother the Cow. I made friends at their shows that I’ve kept to this day. We’d all get together and drink way too much beer before, at, and after their (or, indeed, any band’s) shows. We’ve all grown older, gotten married (or will soon), took on mortgages, scattered to different cities, and kids are increasingly part of our shared experience. I guess that may have been the only thing missing at the shows – those old friends. Maybe we’ll get a chance to do it again someday.

9 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Did you have them autograph your copy of $5 Bob's Mock Cooter Stew?

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Deviled Hampton said...

hahahaha...i'm pretty sure i inherited a copy of that cd when i got all of those records from my friend. i'll hafta look for that. maybe i can have "kurdt" autograph it as well.

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and me need to seriously move back to Seattle. Raise yer kiddo there! If I have a kiddo, I can't imagine them brought up here in The Big Apple....

~Nichole

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Deviled Hampton said...

nickers - a move back to seattle is always in mind, but i don't know if/when it will ever happen. we've discussed this - how much its changed, and not for the better. if the right opportunity came up, we'd probably jump at it. i'm sure we'll end up in the pnw again someday, but it may not be seattle - portland or b'ham sound appealing to me. i'm not really in any hurry to pack up all of our stuff again, lol.

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember that one show we went to where we all got really drunk, and then afterwards we went to Dick's before going home and drinking more beer?

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, snarky, P.

I dunno when I'll end up in the PNW.... I wanna raise my kids there... if I do end up breeding. Can't seem to make my mind up there.

My apartment here in Brooklyn has gotten so packed with stuff, too.

-Nickers

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Deviled Hampton said...

p- yeah, i remember that night vividly. as well as the other 200 that would fall under that description...

n- i'm determined to get rid of a LOT of stuff before i ever attempt a move again.

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not snark, it's a fond rememberance. Those were fun years, even if the nights did all blur into each other every now and again. It's just not the same these days.

I go to shows now and marvel at how old I am - I'm that guy me and Hampton and Todd used to make fun of for being too old to be out. :-)

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Deviled Hampton said...

p - those were good times, but some of the memories are fuzzy. what amazes me is how many times we went to see some bands which we probably never even think about nowadays, much less listen to! (gas huffer, love battery, best kissers, hammerbox, and 7 year bitch all come to mind...)

oh, and i have a question for you: do you like to go salmon fishin'?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!