Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Modern Art makes me want to Rock Out!

We made it over to the Hi Dive last Friday to catch British buzz band Art Brut. Not only was I impressed, I hafta say that this is currently the frontrunner for “show of the year.” Their album, Bang Bang Rock & Roll, isn’t due out in this country until later this month. I picked up an import vinyl copy a few weeks ago, and I really like it (a lot of people must be tracking down imports or downloads of their album, as a large portion of the crowd was singing along). As great as the album is, the live show is really where it’s at with these guys. The band is incredibly energetic, and they appear to be having a great time onstage. The singer is about as far from the typical rock and roll front man as you can get. With his cheesy mustache, square clothing, and pudgy build he reminds me more of a guy who’d have a job selling car stereos than the singer of a rock band (my Seattle friend Big Joe Bloggs compared him to a has-been lounge singer). At the beginning of each song, he’d ask “Are you ready Art Brut?” as if he was calling a superhero team into action. They played all of the songs from the album, including several which have apparently been big hits in other countries (although I dispute the singer’s claim of being “number one in Narnia and Disneyland”). They had some new songs as well, including one which stole the title from a Billy Childish tune, Punk Rock is Nicht Tot – you gotta love that. Lots of highlights: Formed a Band, Emily Kane, Modern Art, Moving to L.A., Bang Bang Rock & Roll, their most popular tune Good Weekend…heck, they were all highlights. My only complaint was the vocals were a bit hard to hear at times, and the vocals are my favorite part of their songs. A great performance from a terrific new band, I think they live up to the hype. Art Brut – Top of the Pops!

Afterwards, we walked down the street to The Hornet to grab a bite. Not really my type of place, a bit too yuppie, but they have a late menu and it was close. Plus, a special on Newcastle is always welcome. Anyway, we’re enjoying our food and drinks when some stereotypical young “punks” walked up the window outside. Freshly painted and studded leather jackets, one guy sporting a mohawk – you know the drill. This look was considered a cliché when I first got into punk in the early 80’s, and after twenty-plus years it just makes me laugh. One of them threw himself up against the window, and the other guy starts showing us the menu he stole from the bar next door. Wow, a stolen menu – these guys mean business! We waved at them, and tried not to burst out laughing. They moved on, and I couldn’t help but comment “those are the guys…the guys that invented punk rock!” Then some girls from a bachelorette party ran outside to get their pictures taken with them. The punks then followed the girls back into The Hornet, and tried to look scary, but people pretty much just ignored them. Then they left, presumably to go do something punk. Because that’s what punks do.

6 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See! I told you they were a great live band. Their show in Seatle has to rank up there in my top 3 shows of the year thus far, along with arch enemy @ el corazon and magic numbers @ the croc. The only event that could possibly top it would be a 2006 Lawnmower Deth Reunion Tour...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawnmower_Deth

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude. I've had that Art Brut album since December. I'm so cool I should get a mohawk, a studded jacket, and an anarchy tattoo.

Of course, I got it on iTunes, so I'd have to turn in the anarchy tattoo for a pocket protector, I guess.

Also, your favorite band sucks. (Since I'm cooler than everybody I had to throw that one in there).

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Deviled Hampton said...

mg - i've already declared that the ball is in the buzzcocks court at this point for "show of the year." they're hard to beat, and will be here in july. no shame in getting beaten by the buzzcocks! we'll see...

pdb - listening to kexp online at work, i've been hearing tons of art brut for months. i still have never heard them on the commercial free station out here, so i was unsure how big a crowd there would be. i guess i'm a luddite, seeing as i'm the only guy i know who still doesn't have an mp3 player and who doesn't listen to music on his computer. i rec'd a funny email from a label the other day, advertising their new releases as being available for "your turntable, cd player, or dildo with headphones."

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I figured that you were no stranger to the art brut - I just like to live under the illusion that I'm cool every once in a while. :-)

I can't wait for the buzzcocks show out here either - just read about that this morning...

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Scott said...

I LOVE the song Emily Kane. Much better than Urge Overkill's "Erika Kane". I guess I'll have to get the new You Am I record through iTunes. Sigh. It's called "Convicts" and comes out on May 18 in Oz. I ain't gonna pay $31 for it that's for damn sure!

Did Art Brut happen to play Bus Rider or In the Summertime?

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Deviled Hampton said...

no, but they did play "shat out a mule."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!