Sunday, April 23, 2006

Crushin’

On the drive in to work this morning, I was tuned into Radio 1190 – the commercial free AM station out of Boulder. The deejay announced “This is a request I got yesterday, but I couldn’t find the record at the station and had to bring a copy from home. Here is The Twist by the Fat Boys.” What’s funny is that I heard the same deejay play this tune a few weeks ago during the station’s pledge drive – she was looking through the station’s hip-hop singles drawer, and she said that the cover was so funny that she decided to play it. So, my question is, why did the deejay need to bring the record from home? I think she helped herself to the station’s copy after playing it a few weeks ago. Then again, who can blame her? I know I’d have a hard time not taking that one home, especially now that we’re apparently experiencing a Fat Boys revival here in D-town.

Prior to this flurry of activity, the only other time I’d heard this version of The Twist was when I was home for Christmas during my first year of college. I was having some cold brews at the much missed Paddy Boots on Broadway (a particularly classy joint with boots hanging all over the place) with my friends Eric and Jeremy. We were pretty much the only people in the place, and no music had been playing, when all of a sudden The Twist came blaring out of the jukebox speakers. Well, I’m pretty sure it was The Twist – it may have been the Fat Boys version of Wipeout. Whatever it was, it scared the crap out of me.

I made it over to Benders on Friday to catch local faves the Breezy Porticos. Their set was good, and heavy on new material. They also played a cover of Harry Nilsson’s Me and My Arrow, cementing their reputation as Denver’s leading purveyors of wimp rock – huzzah! The Breezies were warming up for The Eames Era, a lively pop band from Baton Rouge. They reminded me of 90’s Sub Poppers Velocity Girl – a band I hadn’t thought about in years. I really enjoyed them, and I picked up their CD Double Dutch, which reinforces my comparison. Not necessarily a bad thing!

4 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hamp:
You either have the best memory of anyone I ever met OR you are just making junk up. You can remember music heard at Paddy Boots 10 years ago... amazing!
Jerome

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Deviled Hampton said...

jer,
believe me, these weird memories just come to me when i'm typing up stuff. its not like i've been sitting around thinking for the last 15 years "wow, that was great when i heard the fat boys at paddy boots..."

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger CCP said...

typical -- jump to a conclusion without facts to support it. she may have already owned a copy. the station's copy could have gotten lost, unrelated to her owning a copy.

but no... it's just more manly to jump to the wrong conclusion. typical. I'll be you're a republican, too.

they do that a lot.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Deviled Hampton said...

well, judging from the fact that the first time she played it she had no idea what it was she was playing - she just thought the cover was funny - my guess is that she didn't own her own copy. sure, maybe she ran out and bought her own copy because she liked it so much. i'll just jump to THAT conclusion, it sounds like the proper move for a manly republican like myself.

btw, the whole thing was written for a giggle. i think that's quite apparent. i'm far from a republican - so who is guilty of jumping to conclusions now? maybe you're a "decider"? lol...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!